DEPARTMENT OF COMPLEMENTARY & ALTERNATIVE MEDICINES
Complementary and alternative medicines (CAM) are forms of treatment that are used in addition to (complementary) or instead of (alternative) standard treatments. In recent times, the use of CAM has been increasing steadily worldwide and undoubtedly it has gained medical, economic, and sociological importance. The Department seeks to promote the research and practices of CAM.
1. Promotion and development of CAM practices with the aim of ultimately integrating these into the healthcare practices of Ghana.
2. Promotion of research in areas such as public acceptance, ownership, policy direction, implementation, operational rules, and quality assurance, among others, with respect to CAM practices.
3. Augmentation of the training for CAM practitioners.
4. Training practitioners to document, investigate, and report, adverse effects of products used during CAM practices.
5. Education and provision of support to practitioners on intellectual property protection.
(Subramani and Lakshmanaswany, 2017)