A. Vacancy for Senior Level Administrative Position – Director OF WORKS AND PHYSICAL DEVELOPMENT
The University of Health and Allied Sciences (UHAS) invites applications from suitably qualified persons for the position of Director of Works and Physical Development which will become vacant on August 1, 2022.
UHAS is a public university established by an Act of Parliament (Act 828) in December 2011 to be a preeminent research and practically oriented health educational institution dedicated to community service. Student and staff population currently stands at about 6,800 and 1,000 respectively
Position: Director of Works and Physical Development
Effective Date: August 1, 2022
The Applicant must be of at least Deputy Director status from an academic/research institution or eligible for appointment as such OR must possess a Master’s degree in a relevant field in either Civil Engineering/Architecture/Building Technology or any other relevant and construction related programme) with a minimum of twelve (12) years continuous post qualification working experience in a management position in the building industry, evidenced by the number of projects undertaken or supervised.
- Supervise works and contracts to ensure that construction and renovations are in consonance with prevailing industry standards and specifications, taking due cognizance of the needs and requirements of the University
- Manage construction contracts with a view to ensuring compliance and due delivery of projects
- Advise on the procurement of consultancy services relating to the provision of technical advice on construction in compliance with national laws and University statutes
- Manage and maintain buildings, roads, drains, parks and gardens of the University and their designs and drawings
- Acquire and allocate housing for employees of the University
- Construct and maintain residential facilities for students
- Manage and control land use and the maintenance of records on all land transactions entered into, by, and on behalf of the University
- Provide valuation services
- Manage, control and dispose waste
- Provide fumigation and other pest control services
- Provide advice for the acquisition of vehicles
- Maintain vehicles and provide transport services
- Maintain security on the University’s campuses
- Supervise staff under him/her to ensure the efficient and effective function of the Directorate
- Discharge any other assignment that the Registrar may deem necessary
The Applicant must be a registered member/fellow of relevant professional body. Possess the relevant professional qualification in Civil Engineering/ Architecture/ Quantity Surveying or any other relevant and construction-related area.
He/She must possess considerable working experience in physical planning, construction, and maintenance of physical facilities of an academic institution.
Experience in the design, building and management of infrastructure for a tertiary institution will be an advantage. Must have knowledge in the application of software relevant to the Architectural and Engineering Construction profession.
- Must have proven leadership and administrative abilities
- Considerable strategic, interpersonal and collegial skills
- Must have proven project management capabilities
- Good business sense with a deep understanding and appreciation of strategic and operational issues
- Must have excellent communication and analytical skills
The Director of Works and Physical Development must be able to hold office for a term of four (4) years by retirement age of 60 years and is eligible for re-appointment for another term only.
Method of Application
Interested applicants are required to complete an Application Form for Senior Level Administrative Staff Position (UHAS UAB Form 1C) to be downloaded here (CLICK HERE). Completed application form should be attached with:
- An updated Curriculum Vitae
- Copies of educational and professional certificates
- A short vision statement (not more than 5 pages) outlining how the applicant would respond to the University’s Mission and Vision Statements during his/her tenure as Director of Works and Physical Development
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.